Thursday, January 19, 2017

Victory Is Mine!


I am so excited, guys!

I think it's pretty apparent that the word "math" causes major freakouts for me. Well, I couldn't take it anymore and went scouring the internet for a free math assessment test. I just HAD to know where Mari was in math. It was driving me nuts! Has she regressed? Is she even learning anything? Will she be doomed to a life of poverty because I couldn't properly teach her the math she needs to succeed in life?!

A major part of our deciding to homeschool was that Mari has been behind basically since she started school due to learning impairments. And we knew middle school would be a bigger challenge than she'd ever dealt with before. We needed to intervene before she fell even more behind... but has this intervention been working? That was the big question.

I finally found a free online assessment from Cambridge Academy. They say they go by national US averages and not by state, so use your best judgement in their final assessment of your child. You have to sign up so they can email you the results, but I didn't mind that at all. I signed Mari up for the 3rd-5th grade level math test because I just knew I was failing my child and that she was woefully behind her 6th grade public school peers.

The test was 48 questions long and it seemed to take forever and three days for her to finish... or maybe it just seemed that long because I was internally screaming the entire time! LOL!

Well, she finished, and I kept reloading my email screen, waiting for the results. When they finally popped up, I couldn't click on it fast enough!

The assessment showed each problem and whether she answered it correctly or not. Then at the the very bottom of the email, it showed her grade level.

Y'all... she's 6th grade! Yippeeee! I am so excited! I hugged her so hard, and she was pretty pleased with herself! So that means Mastering Essential Math Skills is absolutely working because she was a little behind in math while she was in school. Now she's all caught up!

One thing I'm internally gloating about is that our city and state rank waaaay below the national average in math and reading. So if she is on-level on the national math scale, that means she's better at math than most 6th graders in our state! I'll definitely be calling my mother-in-law today to tell her the news! *insert satisfied smirk here*

Homeschooling for the win!

3 comments:

  1. Yay, Mari! I am so happy for you guys. I can be an impatient mother at times too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We were both literally dancing around our living room like Wayne Brady in that .gif above! LOL!

      Delete